Saturday, September 13, 2008

Harvesting Herbs

Every year I plant herbs in my flower garden with the good intention of drying them to use year round. This is the 6th summer we have been at our house, and I finally remembered to cut some herbs to dry. I cut oregano, parsley, sage, and basil.


I could not find the jute cord to wrap them in, so I used strips of fabric from my scraps stash. They are quite pretty. The sage looks like a Christmas decoration with the red fabric.
The dill I had planted was past its prime, but it did have a surprise for me. There was a monarch caterpillar sunning himself on the plant. You can get a glimpse of him in the picture below. I hope that I remember to see if chooses my garden as his home for making a chrysalis.

8 comments:

RetroRugrats said...

What a fun post! I bet DS liked looking at the caterpillar. You motivated me to get out and work on my own garden.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Now you're a photographer! That photo is STUNNING!!!!
Your house smells good, too - I bet.

ThreadBeaur said...

Wow I love that caterpillar picture! No garden work for me this weekend, too much rain.

Carry Grace said...

That is a wonderful picture of the caterpillar. I've never grown fresh herbs, or even thought about drying them.

I love to decorate other peoples homes even more than mine, I wish you lived closer.

Valerie said...

Great picture of the catipillar. You'll have yummy dinners during the long winter due to your hard work. Good job!

Kari said...

Wow, I've never known anyone who dries and cuts their own spices. Very cool! Good luck with all of that. Cute pic of the caterpillar, too!

Lori Ann said...

Nice! We're doing herbs too, and I have a strange question: do you have any up-close photos of that Oregano? We can't tell if ours is really Oregano or if it's a sneaky weed!

New England Quilter said...

Lori Ann - if I remember - I'll go take another photo of the oregano tomorrow.